There are many different types of shoe people can wear for walking.
Some people might think that the best type of shoe to wear for walking is a hiking boot. Hiking boots are made to be durable and provide support while someone is hiking.
However, are hiking boots good for walking around town? I will discuss whether or not hikers are the best option for everyday walking and what other options are available.
What is the main difference between walking shoes and hiking shoes?
There is a big difference between walking shoes and hiking shoes.
Most people think any shoe can be used for hiking, but that’s not the case.
A good hiking shoe will have thicker and more durable soles than a regular walking shoe.
They’ll also typically have better ankle support.
Hiking shoes are more durable because they need to withstand different terrain and conditions.
They should also provide good traction to help prevent slips and falls.
On the other hand, walking shoes don’t need to be as durable.
They can have thinner soles and don’t need as much ankle support.
Walking shoes are made for, well, walking.
They don’t need to withstand the same wear and tear as hiking shoes.
Tip: Read my other blog post on the difference between hiking boots and trail runners. Just follow the link.
What is the difference between hiking shoes and hiking boots?
There is a lot of confusion about the difference between hiking shoes and hiking boots.
Some people think they are interchangeable, while others believe that one is better than the other.
There is no clear distinction between the two – it all depends on what you need and want from your footwear.
The main difference between hiking shoes and hiking boots is the level of support.
- Hiking boots have taller uppers that extend above the ankle, while hiking shoes usually only come up to the ankle or slightly higher. This extra material offers more support to the ankle, which is beneficial if you’re carrying a heavy backpack or walking on uneven terrain.
- Hiking boots also tend to have a more rugged construction, with stiffer soles and tougher materials. This makes them ideal for more challenging hikes but can also make them less comfortable for everyday use.
- Hiking shoes are generally lighter and more flexible, making them more comfortable for walking and light hiking. They don’t provide as much support as boots, but they can be a good option if you want something easy to wear.
Tip: In my other blog post, I have already written in detail what you need to look for when buying new hiking boots.
Are hiking boots better than walking shoes?
Some people swear by hiking boots, while others find that walking shoes work just fine.
It depends on where and how you’ll be using your shoes.
If you’re planning to walk on uneven terrain or hiking with a heavy backpack, hiking boots will be a better option.
They provide more support and stability and can help prevent injuries.
However, suppose you’re looking for a shoe to wear for everyday walking. In that case, a walking shoe will probably be more comfortable and easier to use.
Hiking boots can be heavy and stiff, making them uncomfortable for long periods.
They’re also not as easy to take on and off as walking shoes.
So, if you’re looking for a shoe to wear around town or on light hikes, then a walking shoe is probably a better option.
Is it ok to wear hiking shoes every day?
It’s no secret that hiking shoes are specifically designed for hiking.
They’re built to provide stability and support on uneven terrain, protect your feet from sharp objects, and keep your feet cool and dry in all types of weather.
So you might be wondering: Is it ok to wear hiking shoes every day?
The answer is…it depends.
Reasons to use hiking boots/shoes for walking
Here’s a look at some of the pros and cons of wearing hiking shoes every day.
- Wearing hiking shoes every day can help improve your balance and stability.
- Hiking shoes are also generally more comfortable than other shoes to avoid foot pain or discomfort.
- On the downside, wearing hiking shoes every day can cause wear and tear more quickly.
If you’re not used to wearing them, they can take some time to break in.
So, if you’re thinking about wearing hiking shoes every day, it’s a good idea to consult with a shoe expert to find the best option for you.
They can help you choose a pair of shoes that will be comfortable and durable enough to handle daily wear.
Support and cushioning
The cushioning and support in hiking shoes are designed to protect your feet from the impact of walking on rough terrain.
This can be beneficial if you’re going to be doing a lot of walking on sidewalks or concrete.
The cushioning can also help absorb shock and protect your joints from the impact of walking.
However, if you’re not used to wearing hiking shoes, the cushioning and support can take some time to get used to.
And if you’re not careful, you can end up overcompensating and putting too much pressure on your feet.
So, if you’re wearing hiking shoes every day, it’s important to break them in slowly.
Start by wearing them for short periods and gradually increase the amount of time you wear them each day.
This will help your feet get used to the shoes and prevent any discomfort or pain.
Hiking shoes are designed to be breathable, which can be beneficial if you’re doing a lot of walking in hot weather.
The breathability helps keep your feet cool and dry and prevents blisters.
However, if you’re wearing hiking shoes in cold weather, the breathability can make your feet cold.
So, if you’re wearing hiking shoes every day, it’s important to choose a good breathability pair.
You might also want to consider wearing socks specifically designed for hiking.
These socks can help keep your feet warm in cold weather and dry in hot weather.
Hiking shoes are durable, which is important if you’re wearing them every day.
However, the durability of hiking shoes can also make them more difficult to break in.
You might also consider getting a pair of hiking shoes with a waterproof or water-resistant coating.
This can help keep your feet dry in wet weather and prevent the shoes from getting damaged.
Don’t have to buy more shoes
Another advantage of wearing hiking shoes every day is that you don’t have to buy more than one pair of shoes.
Hiking shoes are generally more expensive than other types of shoes, so this can save you money in the long run.
And, if you take care of your hiking shoes, they can last for years.
So, if you’re thinking about wearing hiking shoes every day, it’s a good idea to invest in a quality pair that will last.
Reasons hiking boots are not great for casual walking
Hiking boots are not great for casual walking. That might seem like an obvious statement, but it’s one that many people seem to forget.
Hiking boots provide support and stability when hiking over uneven terrain. They typically have thicker soles and more rugged construction than sneakers or other shoes.
While hiking boots can be worn for casual walks, they’re not as comfortable or well-suited as sneakers.
I will give you some reasons why you should not wear hiking boots for casual walking.
Hiking boots are not great for casual walking because:
1. They’re not as comfortable as sneakers: Hiking boots are designed to provide support and stability, making them less comfortable than sneakers. The weight of the boots and the rigid construction can make them feel bulky and awkward.
2. They’re not as well-suited for walking on pavement: Hiking boots typically have thicker soles designed for traction on uneven terrain. This can make them less comfortable walking on the pavement.
3. They’re more difficult to break in than sneakers are: Hiking boots are typically made of tougher materials that can make them more difficult to break in. This can make them less comfortable to wear for casual walks.
4. They can be more expensive than sneakers: Hiking boots are typically more expensive than sneakers, making them a less economical choice for casual walks.
5. Not super styling: Hiking boots are not super styling. If you want to make a fashion statement, they’re not the best choice.
6. Hiking shoes or boots are expensive: You should not wear hiking boots for casual walking because they are expensive. If you want to buy a new pair of shoes, it might be better to buy sneakers or another type of shoe that is less expensive.
7. Soles wear out faster: When you walk on pavement, the soles of your shoes wear out faster. This is because the pavement is harder than dirt or grass. If you wear hiking boots for casual walks, the soles will wear out faster, and you’ll have to replace them sooner.