Summer is a great time to get outside and enjoy the sun. What better way than hiking in nature or trekking through the woods?
If you’re looking for a new pair of shoes for your kids for your next outdoor adventure, consider trekking sandals for kids. They’re perfect for hiking and offer good support and traction. They’re also lightweight and easy to put on and take off, making them ideal if you need to get them off and stowed quickly.
Should you be looking for a new pair of trekking sandals for your child, you should read through the information here.
Why are hiking sandals for kids better than regular shoes?
Most people think of a nature-loving person in boots and jean shorts when they think of hiking.
But what about the kids?
Hiking can be a great family activity – especially if you have young kids who are just starting to explore the outdoors.
As for footwear for your little hikers, you’ll need something that’s both comfortable and sturdy.
However, conventional shoes are not necessarily the best choice. Special trekking sandals for hiking are an alternative.
But why are hiking sandals for kids better than regular shoes?
Kids hiking sandals are suitable for all-day use, high activities, and rough terrain. And because they are made of flexible, lightweight materials, kids can move freely in them.
Flexible soles with the foot ensure that kids feel the ground beneath their feet as they walk through streams or other environments they regularly encounter on hikes.
You’ll find styles with sturdy outsoles that protect the bottom of the foot and soft uppers that keep them comfortable on long days outdoors.
Your child will feel secure and comfortable in hiking sandals.
How to choose hiking/trekking sandals for kids
How do you choose the right sandals for your child?
There are so many different types of outdoor shoes on the market. It’s hard to know where to start.
Here are some considerations that can help you choose the right sandals for your child:
- Materials: trekking sandals for kids are usually made of different materials, the most typical being leather, mesh, and synthetic. So before you buy sandals for your kid, pay attention to the construction materials. Look for sandals that feel comfortable for your child and still provide them with enough support.
- Quality of trekking sandals: When you’re looking for new trekking sandals for kids, you’ll want to scrutinize them closely to make sure they’re well constructed and can withstand the rigors of the outdoors. Even if you’re buying sandals for older kids who are more careful with their belongings, it’s important to invest in quality footwear.
- Slip resistance: trekking sandals for kids should have non-slip soles and non-marking rubber outsoles.
- Durability: children’s sandals should be made of sturdy and durable materials, such as leather or manufactured soles. Trekking sandals for kids should also have tight closures to keep the sandals together while your child is out adventuring.
- Safety: look for hiking sandals for kids with straps and closures to prevent the foot from slipping out of the shoe. It’s also good to opt for Velcro closures, as they are easier to fasten.
- Color: When it comes to kid’s sandals, dark brown or black sandals are the best choice because they go with everything and your child can wear them everywhere. Also, don’t buy light-colored sandals because you can see the dirt very well in these colors.
Choosing kids hiking sandals can be difficult, but keep in mind that your child deserves trekking sandals that they can enjoy the outdoors with.
You’ll have no trouble making the right choice with a little research and knowledge.
Tip: If you’re looking for suitable trekking sandals for adults, check out my overview on the blog. To do so, click on the link.
Are trekking sandals for kids worth it?
It’s quite simple when you consider that people are always looking for the next best thing in outdoor gear.
For years, hiking boots have been the first choice for men and women.
However, some companies have taken this idea and changed it up a bit. They’ve swapped out boots for sandals.
You mustn’t just buy any sandals at the sports store if you consider this option.
You need to find a model that is specifically designed for hiking.
Not all trekking sandals are the same, so make sure they have a good grip and sturdy soles. Materials like leather or synthetic are a good choice. They wick away moisture and provide the protection you need on the trail.
Another point you should pay attention to when choosing sandals for kids is how they are attached to the feet.
Some models have straps that lace around the calves, while others wrap around the ankle or foot. Whichever model you choose, make sure the child can walk or hike comfortably in them.
How do I know if my child is ready to hike?
The best way to decide whether or not your child is ready for a trip outdoors is to determine how excited they are about the idea.
Kids are full of energy. So if your child is excited at the very mention of a hike, you should take a chance!
However, if your child isn’t as excited about going outside or is hesitant, you may want to suggest something else.
It’s always better to choose an activity that your child is excited about so you can both have fun!
Tip: When buying hiking sandals for kids, keep in mind that kids grow up fast and don’t keep their shoes for long. So instead of buying expensive models, it’s better to buy something inexpensive that your child will completely outgrow in a year or two.
How to care for kids trekking sandals?
Trekking sandals for kids need to be taken care of similarly to regular shoes.
First, when you buy your child trekking sandals, don’t forget to bring a brush to clean them! Outdoor shoes can get very dirty, so it’s always good to have a brush at home.
You should also regularly clean the straps that adjust or fasten around your feet, as they can get sticky and uncomfortable if not cleaned properly.
If the sandals are made of leather, you need to waterproof them before wearing them so that the rain doesn’t damage them too much!
Tip: The trekking sandals should not be cleaned in the washing machine. Drying them in the dryer is also not good for durability. Clean sandals and hiking boots always by hand!
In my blog, I explain exactly how to clean hiking boots. Just follow the link to open the instructions.
Have fun hiking with the kids!